The Federal Communications Commission plans to open an investigation into the diversity, equity and inclusion practices at Walt Disney Co. and its ABC network, the agency’s chief said on Friday, marking the latest such regulatory probe into a large media company since President Donald Trump returned to the White House.
A
letter from FCC Chairman Brendan Carr, dated Thursday and addressed to Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger, said that “significant concerns” remained after Disney said last month that it had
scaled back some of its DEI efforts.
In a post on X, Carr said he was “concerned that their DEI practices may violate FCC prohibitions on invidious forms of discrimination.” His letter highlighted a handful of practices at the company, including guidelines intended to make casting and production for shows more diverse, as well as executive bonuses.